Minutes of the Committee Meeting held on 9th January 2018 at Llanelli Town Hall
Present; Gareth Morris (chair), David Bannister, Phillip Warlow, David Darkin, Fred Hughes, Anastasia Griffiths, Susanne Thomas, Liz Purcell, Alison Jenkins.
1: Apologies from Phillip Thomas, Margaret Gimblett, Rob James, Shahana Najmi, Pam Edmunds, Helena Dunne.
2: Minutes of the previous meeting held on 12th December were accepted.
3: Matters arising from these minutes;
It was agreed that we should request a meeting with Morrigan Mason regarding the future use of the Museum, and what restrictions may be in place. We need to make sure that we have access on the dates that activities have been planned, and if we are able to sell any refreshments. Dates to clarify are,
Easter Monday 2nd April for our Easter Egg Hunt / quiz
May 19th for the Plant Fair
August 22nd for our Summer Family Day.
Cllr Warlow indicated that there is to be a meeting between the Town and County Councils on the 13th February. He will endeavour to obtain some clarity on our usage of the museum facilities.
A question was asked if it would be possible to refurbish the café up to a usable point ?
4: Reports from officers;
Treasurers report had been e-mailed through and was accepted.
Secretary and chair had nothing to report.
5: Gardening volunteers
Around 50 out of the 100 saplings donated have been planted. There has been a noticeable increase in the amount of marsh grass on the main field. This is an indication of a problem with the drainage, combined with the very wet winter that we have had. This may impact on the use of the field during our summer event, the heavy equipment had some difficulties last year with vehicles being bogged down and it certainly has not improved. This may be an issue for Welsh Water, to be discussed further.
David talked through some costings for a planting scheme for the two beds in front of the Mansion House which are both in a very poor state at the moment. We have sufficient funds, and all agreed that this would be a good project to undertake, and would advertise our involvement in the parc.
The offer of help from Drug Aid is on hold until we can clarify what help they can offer and how much supervision is needed. Cllr Warlow mentioned that Mencap may also be on a position to offer some assistance.
Coleg Sir Gar also mentioned as the students there may be in a position, as part of their horticultural course, to offer some labour especially around the heavier work such as tree felling. Would have to liaise with CCC on this.
Notice Boards not yet ordered. Prudent to wait for the pending planning application (car park and access) to be cleared before deciding where to place these.
Photographs with Steven Owen to be organised
6: No correspondence
7: Any other business;
Susanne has made great progress on the Music for the Parc. It is to be held on April 27th at the Stradey Parc Hotel. Tickets and posters being printed, acts confirmed. It was decided not to provide drinks or nibbles but to keep it simple. Thanks to Susanne for all her hard work.
Meeting closed at 7.30
Minutes of the Committee Meeting 12th December 2017 at Llanelli Town Hall
Present; Gareth Morris (chair), Phillip Thomas, Alison Jenkins, David Bannister, Margaret Gimblett, Fred Hughes, Suzanne Thomas, David Darkin.
1 Apologies from Philip Warlow, Pam Edmunds, Jan Williams, Shahana Najmi and Liz Purcell.
2 Minutes of the previous meeting held on 14th November were accepted.
3 Matters arising from theses minutes;
Unfortunately, the open meeting and EGM we had planned for 2nd December had to be postponed at short notice. This was due to Morrigan Mason of the museum, stating that the Mansion House was not available on the day. She explained that her priority is the museum, and she is mindful that when we hold meetings there we are preventing members of the public from accessing the paintings in the room, and the lift to the first floor. She also stated that the café would not be available for any future events due to health and safety concerns. If any food is to be sold it has to come from certified caterers and nothing homemade is to be allowed.
Fred indicated that the Friends of the Museum had some difficulties when hosting their annual Carol Service with restrictions on refreshments and seating.
Agreed that this needs to be discussed further in the new year, and a meeting with Morrigan to be requested.
4 Reports from officers;
Treasurers report was circulated and accepted.
Secretary and chair had nothing to report.
5 Gardening Volunteers;
David is mindful that we have not yet had the opportunity to have the photographs in the parc with Stephen Owen to thank him for his donation of the trees. Some have been planted already, but there are plenty left. The bee boxes provided by Ail Gyfle have been put into place.
7 Any other business;
David (Darkin) has had a look at the old plans and costings for the renovation of the bandstand. He felt that there were some inconsistencies in the costings which were possibly excessive. A lot of money was spent on producing these reports, which estimated the final costs to be in excess of £87000, however, all details are now at least 6 years out of date, so we would need to start again if we wish to pursue this. The question was raised on whether the association should have paid for planning permission in the first place as we are not the owners. To be discussed further.
Meeting finished at 6.45 in order for us to attend our Christmas Dinner at the Stradey Arms.
Minutes of the Committee Meeting 14th November 2017 at Llanelli Town Hall
Present; Gareth Morris (chair), Philip Thomas, Alison Jenkins, David Bannister, David Darkin, Rob James, Suzanne Thomas, Fred Hughes, John Jenkins, Margaret Gimblett, Liz Purcell, Helena Dunne.
Chair welcomed Helena to the meeting.
1 Apologies from Philip Warlow, Pamela Edmunds, Anastasia Griffiths and John Harvey
2 Minutes of the previous meeting held on 10th October were accepted
3 Matters arising from these minutes:
A draft copy of our new constitution was circulated. Our thanks to Philip and to Margaret who have worked hard on getting this fit for purpose. Agreed to convene an EGM after our open meeting on 2nd December to raise one point only, which is to reduce the requirement to have 4 open meetings a year. Wording to be along the lines of - an Open Meeting to follow the AGM, and further Open Meetings to be convened as and when necessary. This amendment has to be voted on.
4 Reports from officers:
Treasurer’s report was circulated and accepted. A separate account has been opened with an amount ringfenced specifically towards the restoration of the bandstand.
The Halloween Story telling on 28th October went really well. We had far more children than we thought would turn up considering the short notice. Rob’s wife, Sophie read stories and stayed to the end. Many thanks to her for helping.
5 Gardening Volunteers:
David has had an offer of some help from Dyfed Drug Aid, not clear what they are able to do, but all help gratefully accepted. David will liaise with them.
Stephen Owen, who generously donated trees and funding, has agreed to an article in the Llanelli Star, provisional date of 24th November for photos in the parc. We need to publicise what we are doing and putting back into the Parc, and how generous the public and Councillors have been.
Boer War Monument: we have been advised that the cost would be prohibitive to restore, but it will benefit from a good clean which may well bring out the lettering. Awaiting an estimate on this from Phillips Memorials.
6 Future Events.
Music Evening. The Stradey Park venue has been confirmed, Suzanne has several groups lined up plus thoughts on a compere. A target of selling 200 – 250 tickets. The price to be decided, the hotel will provide a drink for £2 per head and nibbles for £5. We will need to have a group to help Suzanne with this, meetings to be arranged.
The Summer Family Day needs to include more ‘family’ events to get the children and their parents active. Possibility of races, tug of war or Knockout type games ?
7 We have received an e-mail from Morrigan Mason, alerting us to an Events Co-ordinators presentation. Philip and Alison to attend and feed back.
8 Christmas Dinner to be organized in the Stradey Arms for all members and partners
Minutes of Committee Meeting 10th October 2017 at Llanelli Town Hall
Present; Gareth Morris (chairperson), Phillip Thomas (vice chair and treasurer) Alison Jenkins, David Bannister, Suzanne Thomas, Fred Hughes, David Darkin, Helena Dunne, Robert James, Margaret Gimblett, Phillip Warlow and John Harvey.
1: Apologies from; Liz Purcell, Pam Edmunds and Anastasia Griffiths.
2: Minutes of the previous meeting were accepted.
3: Matters arising from these minutes;
It was agreed that the constitution needs a complete re-write, in particular, the need to have 4 open meetings a year. Some of these meetings are not well attended and if we have no news to impart to the public they are not productive. Phillip has agreed to look at the wording, any changes would have to be accepted at an open meeting or an EGM.
4: Reports From officers;
Treasurers report was circulated and accepted. As some of the money we hold was previously collected specifically for the Bandstand Restoration, an amount has been ringfenced for this, and will be put into a separate account.
Secretary reported that a donation has been received from Mr Colin Edwards to be used for plants. We have also received an offer from Mr Stephen Owen to purchase a large number of trees from the Woodland Trust. David explained that there would be a cost to the Association to purchase stakes and guards for these saplings, sadly needed due to potential vandalism, however it was agreed that this would be a justifiable cost.
Our thanks have been sent to both gentleman for their generous help.
5: Report from Gardening Volunteers;
David has looked into the cost of new notice boards for the Parc. The one existing board we have is small and does not have an impact. The cost of a replacement is high but thought worth the expense. It was agreed to limit ourselves to just one board at present, and in future to think about new ones at the entrances depending on the council’s plans.
We have been given two benches made by Ail Gyfle,they are very sturdy and will be concreted into place by CRC (formally the probation service), one in the children’s playground and one by the bowling green. They are also going to provide us with bee houses.
The Boer War Memorial was discussed. Agreed that it is sad to see it in such a state of disrepair, some of the names are now very indistinct. Further research to be done on the cost of restoration and if any help is available from the Armed Forces.
We have had only 5 responses from crafters. It is carnival weekend in town and there is a weekend craft fayre there. It was agreed to cancel the event for this year as we probably would not get sufficient numbers to make it worthwhile.
A Halloween Story Telling event was discussed as an alternative, with colouring and fancy dress. Rob thought that his wife may be able to help out with this and a provisional date of Sat 28th October set.
Suzanne has investigated a Music for the Parc event. The Stradey Park Hotel has said that we can have a room on Friday 27th April 2018 free of charge. Suzanne already has some acts lined up, agreed that the event should cater for a variety of musical tastes. David’s wife performs in a group and he will ask if they are available. Agreed that Suzanne go ahead with this.
A request has been received from Alan Evans of Llanelli On Line, to forward to him any proof that the Association has agreed to CCC’s plans for a car park in the parc. A reply was sent to him, outlining the secretary’s letter of 5th June to CCC, in which a request was made,( following an Open Meeting on 3rd June), to abandon the planning application for a car park. Fred indicated that the same question was put to the Friends of the Museum.
Alan Evans has asked for further comments, but we have replied stating that we have nothing further to add.
8: Any other business;
Cllr Philip Warlow stated that meetings are continuing between the Town and County Councils on the future of the Parc.
Fred stated that the Friends of the Museum have their Christmas Carol Service on 3rd December at 3pm, tickets are £5.
Meeting closed at 7.30
Minutes of Committee meeting held on 12th September 2017at the Town Hall Llanelli
Present; Gareth Morris, David Bannister, Alison Jenkins, Philip Warlow, Joan Smith, Anastasia Griffiths, Liz Purcell, Margaret Gimblett, Suzanne Thomas, John Harvey.
Apologies from Phillip Thomas and Fred Hughes
The first point for discussion was the structure of the committee. Gareth was happy to stand again as Chairman and this was proposed by Margaret and seconded by Suzanne. Phillip Thomas has volunteered to be vice chair and continue as Treasurer, this was proposed by Philip Warlow and seconded by Alison. It was agreed that the role of secretary has become too big a post for one person and it was unanimously agreed to split the role into 3; Alison Jenkins to become minute secretary, Liz Purcell to be communications secretary dealing with website and Facebook posts and Suzanne Thomas to be events organizer with the proviso that we all help on larger events such as the Summer Day.
Our thanks go to Jane Rosser, our retiring secretary, for all her work over the previous year.
The minutes from the previous meeting on 11th July were accepted, there were no matters arising.
Matters arising from the AGM and Open Meeting on 2nd September.
Catriona Waldren had proposed an amendment to the aims of our constitution that would include consulting and working with CADW. She explained that this was because CADW had been highly critical of CCC’s plans in the Parc, including the car park and she believed that it would be to our advantage to work with them as CCC have failed to recognise the significant historical legacy of the Parc. Fred stated that as the Parc was registered as an historic park and garden that CADW have to be consulted by the council, although there is no obligation for the council to follow any recommendations made. Margaret stated that it was not necessary to name one organisation and suggested the wording “The Parc Howard Association should actively promote the Parc’s status as a registered historic park and gardens, and in this matter will work with other organisations when appropriate”. this was voted on and carried.
Members of the public again said that there is a perception that we are in agreement with the council as CCC continue to state we have been consulted on future plans. This is raised in nearly every open meeting and Phillip again explained that this was not the case.
Nia Griffith stated that we should continue to log the hours the garden volunteers spend as this information can be useful in any future bids for funds.
Review of the Constitution
The new clause on the aims of the constitution, as agreed in the open meeting to be incorporated. It was also suggested by Margaret that retiring officers should stay in post until the first committee meeting following the AGM to ensure a smooth transition. Also discussed was the need to have 4 open meetings a year. It seems that we are the only group associated with the Parc that does this. Should we only convene meetings when there is a pertinent matter to discuss with the public, as we are leaving ourselves open to unwarranted criticism? Margaret explained that any amendments to our constitution would have to be agreed on by the public in the next AGM.
Events for 2017 – 2018
Dates and events provisionally agreed with Morrigan Mason at the Mansion House are;
Christmas craft Fayre on 18/11/17
Easter Event 2/4/18
Plant Fayre 19/5/18
Summer Day 22/8/18
Suzanne suggested a Music in the Parc day, an open-air event to include a variety of music, possibly on 20th or 27th of May. It would be possible to use a lorry as a stage with a generator. Further discussion needed but a great idea.
A letter received from Children’s Wales Air Ambulance thanking us for our donation.
A letter from Louvain Roberts, Deputy Town Mayor enclosing a donation of £25.
An e-mail from Councillor Rob James offering his support for the coming year and requesting to join the committee as a co-opted member. All were in agreement that his contribution would be an asset to us, and this was carried.
Liz requested that Helen Dunne also be co-opted onto the committee, she is passionate about the parc and uses it daily with her family. This was seconded by Anastasia.
Any other business
The article from the Llanelli Herald was discussed. It highlighted how difficult it is to overcome the public perception that we are in agreement with the councils plans, despite our continued explanation that the council do not engage in any discussion but rather present a finalised plan. Phillip has had an apology on the error in his name.
Philip Warlow advised that a meeting is being arranged between the Town and County Council on the future of the parc, but no date has yet been set.
PARC HOWARD ASSOCIATION COMMITTEE MEETING
TUESDAY, 11TH JULY 2017 AT 6PM IN CCC TOWN HALL, LLANELLI
PRESENT: Gareth Morris (Chairperson), Rev. Eldon Phillips (Vice-Chairperson), Jane Rosser (Secretary), Philip Thomas (Treasurer), Cllr. David Darkin, Fred Hughes, Alison Jenkins, Joan Smith, Susanne Thomas, Cllr. Philip Warlow.
1. Apologies for absence.
Pam Edmunds, Margaret Gimblett, Liz Purcell.
The Secretary informed the committee that Adam Holding and Fiona Hillier had
resigned from the committee due to work commitments. They have been thanked
for their support and will join us, to organise the barbecue, in the Summer event.
2. Minutes of the Committee Meeting held on 13th June 2017.
These were accepted as an accurate record.
3. Matters arising from these minutes.
4. Officers’ Reports.
Nothing to report
Nothing additional to report
The latest financial statement was tabled. The treasurer has been pursuing the
opening of another account that would accrue interest. Santander Bank had not
been very helpful.
Current options are:-
the company, Financial Solutions Wales, is a past Chair of the association.
AGREED: Secretary to contact him to discuss the matter.
Associate Members’ Secretary
Nothing to report.
5. Update on events: Summer Family Fun Day.
The final arrangements were discussed.
6. Arrangements for the AGM and OPEN MEETING: Saturday, 2nd September
The Secretary ran through the protocol for organising and managing the AGM, as
per the Constitution. Associate Members’ Secretary will email members regarding
these meetings and the Summer Family event.
The matter of the establishment of the Parc Howard Action Group was raised.
The Chair expressed concern that the public might believe the group is linked to
the PHA. It was suggested that one of the two groups should change its’ name.
The Action Group appears to be political; PHA is not. Parking in Parc Howard
seems to be a ‘real issue’ for residents, who don’t want it. There is a need to re-
engage with Llanelli Town Council. The town councillors have authorised that the
Town Clerk engages in discussion with the County Council regarding the asset
transfer of the Parc.
It was disappointing that a member of the public made a comment, in the last
Open Meeting, that the PHA was a waste of time in relation to the Council’s
proposals for the Parc and that it should’ stick to running plant sales’.
The Chair wants the PHA to continue doing what it is doing. He stated that ‘the
committee has done a terrific job’ and by showing goodwill and putting events on
we have public support. The AGM will provide an ideal opportunity to re-iterate
our aims, as in the Constitution.
AGREED: Secretary to write to Cllr. Emlyn Dole to re-iterate our aims and
arrange for the Officers of the association to meet with the Town Clerk.
8. Any other relevant business.
Meeting closed at 7.00pm
TUESDAY, 9TH MAY 2017 AT 6PM IN CCC TOWN HALL, LLANELLI
Parc Howard Association
Minutes and Reports from PHA