PARC HOWARD ASSOCIATION COMMITTEE MEETING
TUESDAY, 12TH JULY 2016 AT 6PM IN CCC TOWN HALL, LLANELLI
PRESENT: Gareth Morris (Chairperson), Colin Jones (Vice-Chairperson), Jane Rosser (Secretary), Philip Thomas (Treasurer), David Bannister, Margaret Gimblett, Fred Hughes, Alison Jenkins, John Jenkins, Jane Jones, Eldon Phillips, Joan Smith, Susanne Thomas.
The Chair welcomed Cllr. John Jenkins to his first meeting.
1. Apologies for absence
Chris Beer, Pam Edmunds, Pat Morris, Bill Thomas.
2. Minutes of the previous meeting held on 14/6/16
There were accepted as a true record, subject to the following amendment:-
Item 10: Margaret Gimblett is also in the team for ‘Guided Tours’.
3. Matters Arising
4. Reports from Officers
5. Update on events
7. Any other relevant business
Meeting closed at 7.10pm
TUESDAY, 14TH JUNE 2016 AT 6PM IN CCC TOWN HALL, LLANELLI
PRESENT: Gareth Morris (Chairperson), Colin Jones (Vice-Chairperson), Jane Rosser (Secretary), David Bannister, Pam Edmunds, Alison Jenkins, Jane Jones, Joan Smith, Philip Thomas, Susanne Thomas, Jan Williams.
1. Apologies for absence
Margaret Gimblett, Pat Morris, Bill Thomas.
2. Minutes of the previous meeting held on 10/5/16
There were accepted as a true record, with the following amendments:-
Item 6: A Plant Fayre will be held again, next May.
Item 5: Date of Summer Family event is 24th August 2016, not 28th as noted in
3. Matters Arising
4. Reports from Officers
· In recent weeks the Secretary has been supporting Philip Thomas with the organisation of the book launch. 43 invited guests responded positively to attending, together with 12 Committee Members. Llanelly House provided the venue free of charge; the catering cost £480.
· The organisation of the Family Summer event on 24/08/16 has begun. Secretary has contacted Paul Murray and Gavin Evans by phone and email to provide details. The planning group held its’ first meeting on 18/05/16. Date of next planning meeting to be fixed at the end of this meeting.
· Roxanne Treacy has been acting as our web administrator. As she is extremely busy with her work Jane Jones will take over the role of IT consultant.
· The Chair welcomed our new Treasurer, Philip Thomas, who has taken over from Peter Chin. He will provide a comprehensive monthly financial report in every Committee meeting.
· He presented a detailed report of the current financial situation and was thanked by the Chair for this and his quick ‘turn-around of information.
5. Feedback from the Open Meeting held on 4/06/16
· It was encouraging to see so much enthusiasm, from members of the public, for the Parc
· The issue of the Mansion House being closed on Bank Holidays was raised. There was a strong feeling that it should be open to provide facilities for visitors to the Parc. There were many people in the Parc on the recent Bank Holiday weekend. Secretary informed the meeting that she had raised the matter with the Leader of CCC the previous Thursday. He said that he would look into it. The Leader had also agreed that the PHA could look into organising a mobile catering unit for the Parc, in the interim period, whilst plans for catering facilities were being prepared by CCC.
· Members of the public present had voiced their desire for transparency from CCC, with regard to the plans for and the money that was going to be spent on the Parc.
· The issue raised by one person, regarding Council bureaucracy holding innovation and developments back in the Parc was discussed.
· Once again, it was clear that there was a very strong feeling that the café should be re-instated.
6. Feedback from the 4th joint meeting convened by the Leader of CCC
· The Leader outlined specific proposals for the Parc that would be implemented soon.
· CCC is still exploring plans for other developments in the Parc. The Leader stated that these will have to go through a full Council meeting and then go out for public consultation. The Committee, at this point discussed a number of related issues: the bottom area of the Parc has a river running through it and a pond, incorporated within a lovely environmental area, could be constructed with the help of volunteers; the Leader agreed that we could look into re-submitting a HLF bid for the Parc; the Leader stated that the plans for the Parc will include its’ use as a wedding venue and that a car park will be built. He did not give an indication of its’ potential position. There are still a number of unanswered questions in relation to CCC’s planning for the Parc at the moment.
7. Review/Update on events
· The book launch for Philip’s book, held in Llanelly House, was a very enjoyable event with a lovely social atmosphere. Although there was a cost for the buffet, it was agreed that it was important that Parc Howard was linking in with the Parish Church area and Llanelly House. The author thought that it was an excellent event and it was a privilege to have John Edwards present. Eldon Phillips’ contribution to the evening was acknowledged. Philip will meet with a group of Committee Members to agree outlets for the sale of the book. He has been invited by both the Town Mayor and Pontiets History Society to give a talk on his book.
· Family Summer event – planning ‘in hand’
8. Programme of events for 2016-2017 and dates
· September weekends – ‘Open Doors’ guided tours of the Parc linking in with Philip’s book. Gavin Evans has asked Philip to work with him to organise.
· Christmas Craft Fayre – Saturday, 19/11/16, from 11am to 3pm in the Mansion House
· Easter Monday Family event – 17/4/17
· Plant Fayre – Saturday 20/5/17
· Summer Family event – Wednesday, 23/8/17
· Fashion Show - TBA
· A card has been received from Ty Bryngwyn thanking us for the Easter eggs which we donated
· The Town Mayor, Councillor Mrs Shahana Najmi, has sent a donation of £25 following the concert in the Diplomat Hotel
· Llanelli Town Council’s Building and Finance Committee has sent a donation of £750 towards sponsorship of Philip’s book. Secretary will thank them for their generous contribution.
10. Any other relevant business
· Secretary informed the Committee that a request had been made to Gavin Evans to use the former MASK room in the Mansion House to store PHA resources, now being stored in the café. This would enable full use of the café for refreshments and avoid having to use the room in which the glass display cases are situated. Gavin declined the request as he has a number of items that cannot be put on display due to lack of space and he has earmarked this room to store them.
· Open Doors Guided Tours – Philip (History) and David (Flora) will lead with the support of Alison Jenkins, Pat Owen-Jones, Susanne Thomas and Nevil Williams
Meeting closed at 7.20pm